Sunday, June 11, 2006

Greetings from Louisville!

According to the city’s marketing campaign the correct pronunciation is officially “Looavul.” Just so you know. Funny to go from one city whose name’s pronunciation is up for debate (“Norlins” is my preferred pronunciation) to another. Back in the good old days I lived in places like Stonington and Tampa and New York City (although I suppose there are those who are “New Yawkers”).

Well, I think I’ve officially seen more than 50% of the touristy stuff in the city. Still haven’t been to Churchill Downs (not dressed for it—there are races today and, at least in Norlins, Sunday is dress-up day). Still haven’t been to the zoo.

Started the morning at an Irish Festival on the river. Fun, but it was cold and rainy and poorly attended. Plus they weren’t serving Guinness today or I was there too early for beer (is there such a thing?). Then I headed to the Muhammad Ali museum, which is SO impressive. A definite must-visit for anyone who visits me. Even if you’re not a fan of “The Greatest” (and I am), it’s worth it just to see what a really exquisite museum looks like. Dropped by the Louisville Slugger Museum (although I didn’t go in except to the gift store). Then to the Arts & Crafts museum, which I did fairly superficially. Then I drove up to 4th Street Live, which is a couple of downtown blocks dedicated to bars and restaurants and clubs. It’s like… hm, I’m struggling for a comparison. Like Disney’s Pleasure Island although not as diverse? Sort of. Mostly chain places like the Hard Rock. But there are a couple cool “theme” places like a hip bowling alley and a really nice pool hall. Then I drove around and around and basically got lost a dozen times. And it’s only just now 5pm. Pretty full day.

On the house front—after all, that’s why I’m here—the big news is that I am not buying the house I came up here to buy. It was cute as heck and in a great neighborhood, but it was also really run down. As with a lot of houses from the turn of the century (last century) someone, at some point, decided to screw up a perfectly sweet Victorian. They dropped the ceiling, but with plaster, not tiling, and did a really shabby job of it. The walls were cracked and the floors were warped. Some of the ugly stuff was simple and cosmetic. Some of it was structural. I can handle the cosmetic stuff, but not the structural.

Anyway, Betsey, my real estate agent, had another house lined up for me, and as soon as I walked in the door, I knew I was home. Simply put, the house screams New Orleans. Depending on the room, the ceilings are (I’m guessing) 12 or 14’ high. Hardwood floors in every room. It’s another Victorian, but a different style. A side-hall shotgun. One story. And the backyard is almost twice the size of the house’s footprint. You could actually build a whole house and then some in the backyard. (My wheels are turning on that one!).

The inspection is tomorrow morning, so I don’t want to say any more about it until that’s done. But Jason was absolutely right, this is my neighborhood. Walking distance to just about everything I could possibly need. Parks and big trees. And when I swung by last night for another look my next door neighbor was watering her lawn listening to A Prairie Home Companion. My kind of folk.

Keep your fingers crossed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home