Monday, November 21, 2005

a bit of news and a bit of thanks

Well, the second semester shoe dropped today. I’ve been told that I will remain part time for the remainder of the year. Not a big surprise. In fact, more surprising that I would be offered even part time as the administration has opted to beef up the course load of full timers. Now all full timers will be expected to teach five classes, not four. With the projections for second semester enrollment, if each teacher continued to have four courses, there would be no need for part time, but I guess it’s a matter of economics.

I told my boss I needed the Thanksgiving break to mull it over. As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve been so frustrated by the fact that once-upon-a-time this was precisely what I wanted. The second semester position involves only teaching seniors—ideal! But somehow it’s just not okay any more. I haven’t planned and saved for this change in my career, and the opportunities in New Orleans for meaningful part-time work are practically non-existent. Long ago, I fancied myself a future freelancer, but I’m not sure I have the rocks to take that on.

Anyway, lots of thinking to be done. Looking forward to doing that thinking with my belly full of turkey.

This weekend, I was lucky enough to attend what I think was the American premier of a British Channel 4 documentary called “The Hurricane that Shamed America.” Jim, the SO of my local best friend, Erin, used to work for Frontline, and worked as the American producer for this documentary (the British equivalent of 60 Minutes). Jim and Erin hosted a viewing party for thirty-plus friends and associates, complete with copious amounts of wine and food. Amazing to have so many like-minded people in a room. Interviews with Brownie and clips of Bush were met with hisses (truly, honestly, I don’t recall ever hearing so many people actually hiss. I thought hisses were the purview of melodrama and the Three Stooges). Mass sighs and sniffles at the sight of suffering. And I can’t help but wonder if a sort of mass-consciousness has been created in New Orleans. Yes, friends of my friends are more likely to be liberal. But could anyone in New Orleans have watched this documentary and not felt the same communal sadness and disgust? (I think the answer to my question is yes. I still see people driving around with “W” bumper stickers. I have a student, who lost her family’s 100+ year old home in Mississippi, who still displays a “W” sticker on her laptop. I don’t get it. I liken it to a beaten wife who remains loyal to her abusive husband.)

It was a good film. Apparently, it was not the film that Jim thought he was making because the BBC came out with their version of the story earlier—much of the stuff about the levees and the meteorology of the hurricane ended up on the cutting room floor (including the interview Jim did with Max Mayfield of NOAA, which he flew to Miami for). But the title explains the gist of the documentary—it focused instead on the fact that the government abandoned so many New Orleanians; that food and water were slow-coming (understatement). That the rescue operations were hindered by politics.

It reminded me so much of being in Ireland in the summer of 2004, listening to the way that Europeans perceived the US and our government. I can’t count the number of times I was told in many different ways: “We hate your president, but we also recognize that he doesn’t represent the general population of America. But if you re-elect him, we’ll be forced to think otherwise.”

This week was my most lucrative under-employed weeks so far. I worked for Hal twice and made $82. I babysat for Ivy on Saturday and made $50. I sold another article to Associated Content for $10 (review of local coffee shops). Hardly making up for lost pay, but any dent is a welcome one.

I’ve continued my uncharacteristic social life. Tuesday night we had beers with Hal at the Rendezvous Tavern (where I am now; how totally lovely to have Guinness and internet at the same place). Thursday, we went to dinner the midnight showing of the latest Harry Potter with Erin, Jim, Scott, and Carolyn. (Excellent movie. Jason’s favorite, although I preferred #3). Friday was the premier at Erin’s house.

Tomorrow or tonight, we leave for Indiana for Thanksgiving. I can’t tell you how much I am looking forward to escaping to the “real world” for a few days. I’m one of the few who have been in New Orleans for the past couple of months without respite. Most of my friends have made forays into the outside since they’ve returned. This place remains a very depressing city (see my recent Subcrawl post on the suicide rate). But I wish I had a few more days before leaving.

Ah, sigh, all that being said, I’ve got quite a bit to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. Certainly my safety and the fact that we suffered so little in the wake of this tragedy. (I’d say “my health” but I have been unsuccessfully battling the same cold/intestinal thing for the past three weeks almost). The love and outpouring of support from my family and friends. Perhaps even the kick in the seat of the pants that this hurricane has launched my way. Perhaps. We’ll see about that one.

Enjoy your pumpkin pie and stuffing, dear ones. Eat til your bellies ache to burst and then kick back and watch a little football. And know that you’re all in the heartfelt thanks of this strange girl’s thanksgiving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home