Saturday, October 08, 2005

first homecoming email

Just in case you missed it...

I just wanted to let all of you know that we are safe, sound, and even more lucky than I have believed all along.

We returned home yesterday evening (I'll detail the return in a blog entry soon; I just want to address the personal stuff here) to find our home sweet hovel in pretty much the same condition in which we left it. We are blessed beyond comprehension, in my opinion. Last night, we fired up all of our services to find that we had electricity, a/c, wireless internet, satellite tv, gas, phone, and water. And today, the city announced that our water is "safe."

There is damage to the house-- most shingles gone, a window in our attic, gone, the flashing falling down, the gutters falling down. But with the exception of some four and six and eight legged intruders, a refrigerator we have yet to be brave enough to open, and a few other gross-yet-sufferable horrors, we're A-OK.

I'm still processing the bigger picture. In some ways the city is better than I expected, in some ways far, far worse. But so much hope everywhere.

I am so happy to be home. Our losses have been so minor, so insignificant comparatively. It will take us one more day or so to get our house up and "normal" and we're then going to turn our focus to helping our friends and others pick up and clean up.

Again, I am so so happy to be home. Thank you to all of you who have helped in any way along the way. Just hearing from so many of you has been such solace.

I'll save my global thoughts for the blog once I get my head around them. But I will say this: barring more hell and high water (and certain human intervention), this time next year-- maybe even sooner-- New Orleans will be some semblance of the city we all love. Come. Visit. Give it love. Amazing place, this home of mine. I'd love to share it with all of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home