Friday, April 28, 2006

Many moons in between

What if Al Qaeda blew up the levees
Would New Orleans have been safer that way
Sheltered by our government’s protection
Or was someone just not home that day?
- Neil Young “Let’s Impeach the President”

Ah faithful readers, I’m sure I’ve all but lost you by now. Good bloggers don’t go close to two months without blogging, I’m sure. It’s just been a heckuva two months.

I don’t even know where to begin and it seems trite and lousy to put these past however many weeks into a synopsis, but I must.

At the end of March, my grandmother passed away. Nana had been ill for a long while, and on the 18th of March, my mother called me and told me that I had to come home ASAP. I’d already booked a trip to Providence to do some interviews with high schools up there, so I extended my trip and was on the first flight up to New England. I am grateful to have been with her when she died on the 20th. On the same day, my mother’s 18 year old cat died as well. It was, as you can well imagine, an incredibly difficult time. It took me weeks to “process” it all. And I’m sure I’m not done yet. But my family has changed, and frankly, I’m sick to the core of change these days.

The interviews in Providence went incredibly well, I thought. I fell madly in love with the Met School—a public alternative high school. Unfortunately, today I found out that I did not get that job. I’d all but counted on getting it. I thought the only problem would have been with money. I locked myself in the bathroom and cried for two minutes, but then I pushed it aside. Move on, you know? It’s been a long time since something that I wanted said “no” to me. I’ve lived a charmed life in that regard. Even when it came to college, I got into the schools that I wanted to get into. Anyway, move on.

Since then, it’s been a blur of catching up on the week of work and school that I missed, and of other New Orleans activities. The Tennessee Williams Fest and French Quarter Fest were fantastic. One “up” side of knowing that my days in New Orleans are numbered has been the fact that I’ve done my best to take advantage of the city as much as possible.

This weekend and next are Jazz Fest. Today was the opening day. The crowds were enormous—it was a great Fest lineup today. I saw Bob Dylan and Keb’ Mo and Ani DiFranco—three acts I’d pay big bucks to see on their own.

This past week I flew up to DC and interviewed at the Cathedral School for Girls. Stayed with my cousin and her husband and had a fabulous time. In two weeks, I’ll fly up to Louisville, KY to interview at a school there.

The mayoral primary was last weekend, and I’m fairly pleased with the way that it turned out. Nagin and Landrieu in the run-off. I’d be okay with either, but my allegiance remains with Nagin.

I apologize for the lack of feeling in this entry. I’m still rattled by not getting the job that I wanted and tired from Fest-ing all day. Hopefully I’ll be better from hereon in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home